BHI Development Manager Job Description
Title: Development Manager
Organization: Build Health International
Reporting To: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Beverly, MA
BHI designs, builds, equips and manages sustainable healthcare facilities in some of the most resource- constrained regions of the world. With an experienced staff of global health, engineering, and construction experts, we oversee planning, design, and construction of healthcare infrastructure; procurement and shipping of medical equipment; design and installation of solar energy systems and waste water treatment facilities; and maintenance of facilities for our international nonprofit partners. We also assist in clinical and operational planning and engage in research and evaluation of the built environment in resource-poor settings.
Most of our past projects have been in Haiti, including a state-of-the-art 320-bed national teaching hospital with a 500 KW photovoltaic system, a maternal-neonatal health center, several maternal waiting homes, a BSL-3 national referral laboratory, and a climate-controlled warehouse and distribution center. Current projects include a surgical center, an infectious disease unit, a specialty hospital for multi-drug resistant tuberculosis, and a 60 KW solar installation at a large hospital. These new projects span the globe, from Sierra Leone to Peru to Malawi.
Our guiding principles include:
• We work closely with our partners — global health organizations, government agencies, and the local community — to plan, design, and oversee the construction of health facilities in low- and middle-income countries.
• We help our partners develop clinical and operational plans, as well as operational budgets that facilitate their ability to deliver high quality, comprehensive, dignified care.
• We primarily partner with organizations committed to strengthening the public health care system so that every person, regardless of ability to pay, has access to care.
• We hire local tradespeople on our crews and offer them training in the latest construction and maintenance methods.
• We build to the highest standards, even while working in regions without easy access to materials and equipment.
• We reduce costs by soliciting donated materials and leveraging volunteers when necessary, pairing them with local tradespeople.
• We have a significant focus on renewable energy as well as minimizing the environmental footprint of the facilities we build.
• We build and maintain strong relationships and continue to work with staff and the community to advise and support long after the ribbon is cut.
Build Health International seeks an entrepreneurial Development Manager to manage the organization's fundraising goals and oversee all development activities. This is an exciting opportunity for the development professional who is prepared to make a shift from supporting development work to leading development work.
With support and direction from the Executive Chairman and the CEO, as well the BHI Special Projects and Communications personnel, our results driven Development Manager will build the fundraising infrastructure from the ground up while leveraging their background in International Development to design and execute a multifaceted fundraising strategy. This is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial and creative self-starter who wants to advance their career.
Build Health International’s Development Manager will be primarily responsible for planning, developing, and implementing BHI fundraising systems and strategies. This includes maintaining current donors and cultivating new ones; developing a major gift strategy; initiating corporate sponsorships; researching and writing grant proposals; preparing reports for major gift prospects and managing a fundraising calendar with clear, time-based development goals.
Strategy, Execution and Leadership:
• Strategy: Work collaboratively with the CEO and Executive Chairman to develop a strategic development plan which meets the annual charitable giving goals and also expands Build Health International’s visibility and impact.
• Production/Implementation: Responsible for the success of fundraising programs, including foundation and corporate giving, annual fund, special events and planned giving. Work collaboratively with the CEO to develop and accomplish ambitious funding targets.
• Planning: Develop and lead a comprehensive, multi-year development plan to increase donor engagement, grow annual donor support, and strengthen BHI’s fund development infrastructure.
• Systems and Infrastructure: Assess, design, build and strengthen BHI’s fundraising infrastructure to ensure efficient and effective support for annual fundraising, and to ensure that all levels of contributors to BHI are stewarded and consistently engaged.
• Board Support & Development: Work in close partnership with the CEO and Executive Chairman to build the board’s philanthropic capabilities and to engage and support Board Members.
• Financial Accountability: In partnership with executive management and in particular, BHI’s Controller, develop and manage fundraising budgets. Leverage analytics, data and metrics to track progress and success of fundraising strategies and tactics.
• Maintain a high level of stewardship with donors and corporate partners.
• Analyze donor information and giving patterns and plans accordingly.
• Design and manage systems: to acknowledge gifts, process pledges and carry out periodic mailings.
• In partnership with BHI’s communications personnel, develop a set of donor marketing collateral .
• Create individual goals for each donor based on the donor's history of giving and the organization's knowledge of that donor's potential. Develop a plan for each donor that will serve as a foundational communication and marketing plan for each donor.
• Work with the Construction Management team and communications personnel to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and create offers, proposals and ‘asks’ to be presented to donors.
• Develop and implement the plan for new major donor acquisition.
• Perform other donor activities as required.
Marketing, Writing and Reporting:
• Draft and share presentations promoting BHI’s work.
• Assume primary responsibility for grant proposal research and writing.
• Prepare reports which will enable the CEO, Executive Chairman and Board of Trustees to make both short and long term strategic decisions.
• Collaborate with communications staff to connect BHI content to social media channels including engaging videos, photos, graphics and infographics.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Minimum of 4+ years of fundraising experience required.
• A strong preference for candidates with experience in the field of international development.
• Demonstrated ability to build partnerships and successful collaborations.
• Ability to communicate influentially to attain buy-in and garner support for the achievement fundraising goals.
• Ability to self-manage their personal development: anticipates challenges that can delay professional growth, fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches, and creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change.
• Self-motivated, energetic and creative thinker with strong ability to prioritize, execute a plan and meet goals.
• Excellent oral, written, presentation and social media skills, with ability to gather, create, and promote inspirational content.
• Strong attention to detail, high level of personal and professional organizational skill.
• High level of integrity, a strong work ethic, confidence and a sense of humor.
• Ability to work with a high degree of independence in a fast-paced, dynamic, early-stage fundraising environment.
• Adaptability: strong track record of successfully adjusting plans and goals based changing landscape of resources, opportunities and strategy.
Working Conditions: The Development Manager will be based at the BHI office in Beverly, Massachusetts.
Compensation: Competitive base salary commensurate with experience, as well as health, dental, disability, 401(k), and vacation benefits.
Application: To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Build Health International is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our organization. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.