Each project relies not only on on-site construction expertise but also on coordinated, efficient support from operations staff at its headquarters in Beverly MA. BHI seeks individuals to join our team who are committed to the mission and values of the organization.
What do we need? Professionals or new graduates with experience in ...
- construction management
- site supervision
- design & drafting
- procurement & shipping
If you're interested, send us an email. We'll get back to you.
Open Job: Assistant Construction Site Supervisor
An Opportunity To Make a Difference
Build Health International (BHI) (BHI featured in Humanosphere) has a unique opportunity for a bright, motivated, mission-driven construction site supervisor with 2-5 years’ experience to be part of a very exciting and innovative collaboration with global health organizations worldwide.
BHI works closely with Dr. Paul Farmer’s Partners in Health (PIH), St. Boniface Foundation and other non-governmental organizations to design and build cost effective and sustainable hospitals and clinics serving some of the poorest and most marginalized people across the globe.
BHI has developed a very unique and successful approach to building sustainable health care facilities in resource-constrained areas, originating from experience constructing the Hôpital Universitaire de Mirebalais, Haiti’s 340 bed National Teaching Hospital. BHI uses a creative and flexible approach to design and procurement, leveraging both local and global resources and facilitating in-kind donations where possible. In construction, BHI hires local contractors and tradespeople and uses skilled staff and volunteers to provide training and build local capacity.
This adaptable and innovative resource management allows BHI to construct quality facilities in the most challenging of environments that are both affordable and sustainable.
BHI is seeking a highly motivated and committed Assistant Construction Site Supervisor to work on a variety of construction projects with our team in Haiti. They would start as an Assistant Construction Site Supervisor, with the goal of overseeing and managing projects, with support, within 6-12 months.
The ideal candidate should also have a passion for helping others driven by a commitment to international development, social justice, or mission. Excellent health and willingness to travel to challenging locations is critical. Solid computer knowledge and overall organizational skills are vitally important. A degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management is helpful, but not required. Fluency in English is required. French, Haitian Creole or Spanish language skills would be helpful, but not necessary, however you must have an interest and aptitude for learning a new language. Additionally, effective communication and willingness to work with others is critical; every member of the BHI team wears multiple hats and pitches in to help others as needed. This is a unique opportunity for a less experienced construction supervisor to quickly advance professionally and take on a leadership role in an organization. Additionally, they will have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of millions of people who currently do not have access to adequate and dignified health care.
- Interpret plans and documents and communicate requirements to trade foreman.
- Work with senior construction manager on layout, line and grade, and establishing control points.
- Assist with hiring of foreman and negotiation of unit price or lump sum contracts.
- Help ensure job site safety and help set standards for professionalism and conduct on job site.
- Report coordination problems and quality issues to both the Senior Site Supervisor and the Director of Construction in the BHI office (Beverly, MA).
- Work on takeoffs and procurement of locally purchased materials.
- Directly conduct quality control and inspection of construction sites.
- File daily reports with photos and updates to communicate project progress with BHI office (Beverly, MA).
- Oversee training and teaching of Haitian construction workers in areas of skill applications, quality expectations, and safety practices.
- Create scheduling and logistics support for all construction activities.
- Perform basic job costing and financial reporting functions.
- Work proactively on problem solving and seeking alternative means and methods to circumvent obstacles in construction schedule.
- A strong commitment to social justice and improving access to health care in resource constrained settings.
- Excellent communication skills and focus on teamwork.
- A degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or related disciplines is preferred, but not required.
- Interest in living and working in a rural tropical setting with a very different culture than the USA.
- Excellent health is a requirement as the settings can be physically demanding.
- Interest in teaching and training others.
- Excellent or fluency in English. Basic proficiency in French, Spanish, Creole or a desire and aptitude to learn new languages.
- 1-3 years’ experience working on construction site in a supervisory or field engineering capacity.
- Basic knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction and renovation of building structures.
- Basic understanding or general aptitude to learn scheduling software and practices.
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate with all levels of individuals including subcontractors, laborers, peers, and supervisors.
- Detail-oriented with capacity to learn quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret plans and drawings.
- Ability to oversee safe work practices to ensure adherence to BHI guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to manage project activities within time constraints of detailed schedule.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of basic operation of electronic communication (email, etc).
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package, including 401K
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Anne Barker at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 30th.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applicants, we will only contact those who are being considered for an interview.
Thank you for your interest in BHI!