Each project relies not only on on-site construction expertise but also on coordinated, efficient support from operations staff at its headquarters in Beverly MA. BHI seeks individuals to join our team who are committed to the mission and values of the organization.
What do we need? Professionals or new graduates with experience in ...
- construction management
- site supervision
- design & drafting
- procurement & shipping
If you're interested, send us an email. We'll get back to you.
The Build Health International Facilities Coordinator will be based in Haiti and act as part of a team to oversee facilities management for BHI’s dynamic partner organizations, Partners in Health (PIH) and the St. Boniface Haiti Foundation (SBHF). This role would include, but would not be limited to, management of PIH’s 205,000-square foot, 300-bed Hôpital Universitaire de Mirebalais (HUM), and its associated infrastructure including diagnostic laboratory and housing, along with the St. Boniface Haiti Foundation Hospital in Fond des Blancs.
The Facilities Coordinator directly supports healthcare delivery to patients previously without access to life saving medical services. The Facilities Coordinator plays a central role in developing and executing plans to ensure long-term operational success of these facilities, directly impacting the quality of care delivered. The Facilities Coordinator will be a Build Health International employee, and will assist in the coordination of maintenance teams and operational systems for both HUM and the SBHF Hospital.
- Working with dynamic team to increase capacity within PIH’s Hôpital Universitaire de Mirebalais in the Central Plateau and the St. Boniface Haiti Foundation Hospital in Fond des Blancs
- Solid assessment of facility operations and creation of work plan to forge strong systems implementation
- Use of solid team-building strategies to train and empower Haitian colleagues, increasing local knowledge of systems maintenance and building foundations for long-term operational oversight
- Assessing hospital machinery and equipment and developing an operational plan and related budget for long-term functionality
- Support in implementation of an appropriate systems software for tracking and recording preventative maintenance
- Working with BHI construction managers, hospital staff and administration to develop a priorities list for small construction and infrastructure improvements and developing a budget and priority-based schedule for those projects
- Assisting hospital facilities staff by providing technical oversight, overall management support, and planning, also performing required preventative maintenance and repairs, including hands-on diagnostic troubleshooting
- Coordinating external technical resources for emergency interventions to swiftly and successfully repair important broken equipment and machinery
- Maintaining frequent communication and issuing status reports for PIH and SBHF hospital administrative staff and clinical leadership teams as well as BHI staff in Boston and Haiti
- Ensuring safety for all workers during maintenance and construction activities
- Managing supply chain and inventory of maintenance tools, equipment, materials and spare parts
- Assisting with responses to natural and man-made disasters to help support HUM and SBHF hospitals and local populations
- 3 – 5 years experience with maintenance of hospital, institutional or industrial facilities
- Strong mechanical skills and ability to troubleshoot essential equipment, such as generators, is preferred but not required
- Biomed, electrical or medical equipment repair experience is preferred but not required
- Experience or interest in living and working in international countries within resource constrained settings
- Motivation to provide training and development for Haitian facilities staff
- Commitment to social justice, motivation to take initiative when opportunities arise and an ability to meet challenges with appropriate professional flexibility and adaptability
- French or Haitian Creole a plus, but not required
- Educational background: minimum 2-year technical degree or related professional training
- Salary commensurate with experience
- In-country transportation, room and board included
- Health care and medical evacuation insurance included
- To apply, send your resume to: email@example.com
Experienced volunteer-carpenters needed
Where & When: On the MA-NH border for a few weekends in September & October 2016
BHI will soon start construction of a new library/community center for the nonprofit Haiti Projects in Fond-des-Blancs, Haiti, and the design of the two-story building calls for an angled roof supported by a series of engineered roof trusses (mono trusses), both to cool the facility and to survive the forces of a Category 5 hurricane.
A wood frame contractor in southern NH has generously donated Versa-Lam manufactured lumber for the trusses, which will be pre-cut at its facility there then shipped to Haiti for assembly and installation by a local crew, under the firm's supervision.
We're looking for some experienced carpenters to volunteer some time this fall to cut the trusses. Whatever time you can give is greatly appreciated.
For details, please email Erik Benson, Project Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org