Projects in Progress
An international organization working in nine countries and the Navajo Nation, Partners in Health began its work in Haiti, and now serves an area with more than four million residents. In addition to its flagship University Hospital in Mirebalais (HUM), PIH operates 12 health-care facilities across the Central Plateau and the lower Artibonite regions.
HUM is also a teaching hospital — training nurses, medical students, and residents. In addition, the nonprofit has added to its HUM complex a rehabilitation center, a reference laboratory, and other services, with future facilities in the planning stage.
BHI's current work for PIH in Haiti at University Hospital in Mirebalais (HUM)
- New Construction: 16,000 SF national clinical reference laboratory that will house the country’s first public pathology lab and the Caribbean’s first permanent Bio-Safety Level 3 (BSL-3) lab for highly infectious diseases.
- New Construction: Maternal waiting home and sanitation block. A much-needed multiple-use structure that will combine two separate buildings. One is a maternal waiting home for 70 women and children: women who are waiting to deliver or women whose infants are in the NICU or children’s ward. The second is a 4,000 SF public sanitation block with bathrooms and showers for outpatients and their families and a communal laundry area for women.
- Improvements: Major upgrade and expansion of the existing 500KW solar photo voltaic (PV) system. This project will expand the existing system capacity by 40% and add batteries and new inverters, making the hospital a completely independent micro-grid.
- New Construction: Planning for a 12,000 SF family patient shelter to provide an enclosed building for up to 300 patients and their families to sleep and bathe.
- New Construction: A 50-bed dorm for medical residents on the HUM campus.
BHI's current work for PIH in Haiti at other sites
- Improvements: Infrastructure improvements ($1M) to water, sanitation, and electricity for 12 existing hospitals and clinics in the Artibonite Region, run by Zanmi Lasante (ZL), PIH’s sister organization in Haiti.
- New Construction: A 60-bed residence for children and their caregivers at PIH’s Santo facility, Zanmi Beni.
- New Construction: Construction of 20,000 SF climate-controlled warehouse and distribution center in Santo for medicine and consumables for the PIH/ZL clinical system in Haiti.
- Improvements: Renovations to existing administrative offices for PIH/ZL in Santo.