Job title: Job Captain
Reports to: Director of Engineering
Location: Beverly, MA
BHI is seeking a Job Captain to manage BIM processes, policies, technology, and project team for global healthcare projects. The Job Captain will be an integral part of the architecture team, which designs resilient healthcare infrastructure for the most marginalized populations of the world. In addition to the architecture team, the Job Captain will work with the Director of Engineering and collaborate with the engineering and on-site construction managers. The individual will be involved in a wide variety of projects, from design-build of full healthcare facilities to renovations of hospital departments. This is a unique opportunity for an individual looking to apply their technical skills for social impact.
Build Health International (BHI) designs, builds, equips, and manages sustainable healthcare infrastructure in some of the most resource-constrained regions of the world. With an experienced staff of global health, engineering, and construction experts, we are dedicated to providing high-quality, dignified and accessible treatment to the poor in collaboration with our international nonprofit partners. BHI is committed to sustainability, health equity, and local capacity building in all our work.
- Participate in all project phases, particularly in the design and development of construction documents that are appropriate for complex projects in resource-constrained settings
- Collaborate with design team and stakeholders to determine technical requirements for the design to meet overall project objectives.
- Create and review construction documents (CDs), including coordination with engineers and design staff to provide technical solutions for design dilemmas and detail building construction in steel, concrete and wood frame for use by site supervisors.
- Help lead the BHI AEC team and BIM manager to develop standards and details.
Responsible for coordination of both in-house and external consulting engineer drawings.
- Assist BHI’s constructions managers in developing project documents for budgeting, tendering and construction.
- Manage contract administration budget for assigned projects. Ensure adherence to set budget and communicate potential variances to the budget.
Implement passive energy systems into design based on local materials, climate patterns, and user’s needs and lifestyle.
- Develop standards and systems to automate design tasks and eliminate sources of errors.
Organize and direct the architectural and in-house engineering team to execute in an orderly, timely, and coordinated manner.
- Periodically travel to project sites in order to understand location constraints, technical challenges and available materials.
- Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years of relevant architectural, design, or BIM coordination work experience.
- High level of proficiency with Revit and professional experience with AutoCAD.
- Experience creating and working on construction document sets.
- Experience with coordination of structural, civil and MEP systems.
- Knowledge of architecture standards building codes.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals.
Demonstrated interest of current and emerging issues in global health or international development.
- Ability and willingness to occasionally travel internationally to project sites.
Preferred (not essential)
- Healthcare experience and knowledge of current healthcare facilities standards.
Prior field work experience in Latin America, the Caribbean or Africa, and related language skills.
- International building and construction experience.
- Masters Degree in Architecture and architectural Registration
Location: BHI office in Beverly, Massachusetts with limited travel
Employment Type: Full time
Compensation: Competitive base salary commensurate with experience, as well as health, dental, disability, 401(k), and vacation benefits
Application: To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BHI is committed to providing equal opportunity in the workplace. BHI will make all employment and other placement decisions without regard to non-job-related factors such as race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. This applies to all areas, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and benefits.