Job Title: Structural Engineer
Reports to: Director of Estimating
Location: Beverly, MA (Remote start)
Build Health International (BHI) has a unique opportunity for a bright, motivated, and hands-on Structural Engineer.
BHI is a non-profit organization working in fragile health systems to develop infrastructure solutions that elevate the quality and accessibility of healthcare worldwide. BHI conducts clinical planning, design, construction, and maintenance for healthcare facilities in some of the most impoverished places on earth. We are dedicated to partnering with organizations that provide high-quality, accessible treatment to the poor. Our work is grounded in commitments to sustainability, health equity, and local capacity building.
In order to support our expanding portfolio of design-build projects, we are seeking an ambitious and compassionate Structural Engineer to join our team. This individual will play a critical role in BHI’s projects across the Caribbean, Latin America and Pan-Africa. The individual will be involved in a wide variety of projects, from the design-build of full healthcare facilities to renovations of hospital departments. This is a unique opportunity for an individual looking to apply their technical skills for social impact. In the role of a Structural Engineer, the candidate will support and collaborate closely with the Architecture, Engineering and Construction teams.
- Responsible for all aspects of Structural Design for projects from preliminary design through construction for water/wastewater treatment and Civil/Industrial infrastructure facilities.
- Work closely on construction plans with clients, architects, and other team members.
- Investigate materials during the design process.
- Calculate loads and stresses on different parts of structures.
- Prepare and/or review plans, designs, specifications, and cost estimates for structural elements of projects such as the construction or maintenance facilities.
- Perform calculations, such as those related to construction and maintenance, that include quantities and estimated costs of materials.
- Analyze changes in scope of work during design and/or construction of projects to recommend corrective action. Recommends modifications to plans, specifications, and engineering agreements for elements of engineering projects.
- Inspects construction activities to ensure that work is being performed according to specifications and applicable standards.
- Inspects, monitors and document construction and preservation/ maintenance work, such as scheduled preventative maintenance.
- Preparation of studies, reports, plans, cost estimates, specifications for bidding and construction.
- Participate in the preparation of proposals by helping to define and draft concepts and approaches.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and 3+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- High level of proficiency with Revit and professional experience with AutoCAD.
- Experience creating and working on construction document sets.
- Experience with coordination of structural, civil and MEP systems.
- Knowledge of architecture standards building codes.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals.
- Demonstrated interest of current and emerging issues in global health or international development.
- Ability and willingness to occasionally travel internationally to project sites.
Preferred (not essential)
- Healthcare experience and knowledge of current healthcare facilities standards.
- Prior field work experience in Latin America, the Caribbean or Africa, and related language skills.
- International building and construction experience.
- Professional Engineering License.
Location: The Structural Engineer can work remotely for the interim, but will ultimately be based at the BHI office in Beverly, Massachusetts. Some travel may be required when conditions allow.
Compensation: Competitive base salary commensurate with experience
Application: To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BHI is committed to providing equal opportunity in the workplace. BHI will make all employment and other placement decisions without regard to non-job-related factors such as race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. This applies to all areas, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and benefits.